It seems elementary to me that a sovereign nation needs to control its borders, and before any form of amnesty, disguised or not, is passed, we need to do that.
- Build the fence, and tighten up the Canadian border, too.
- Build enough detention facilities for apprehension to mean deportation.
- Enforce employer sanctions (Bush isn't).
- Restrict or tax remittances.
- Train local law enforcement in immigration law, so they can enforce it, at least for arrestees.
- Cut grants to local governmetns that undermine the immigration laws.
- Improve record-keeping and enforcement to reduce visa overstays.
When the WSJ says the ground is shifting against its pet policy, you can bet it is.