April 13, 2006

Google Them Yourself

My prep school class (Andover, after Bush 41 and before Bush 43) started a website, and I emailed the class secretary, who asked me for a capsule bio, which I gave him. In just an hour or so, my new pic, compared to the yearbook picture to the left, appeared there. Someone is working hard, and from the looks of the pictures, I'm not Dorian Gray. Something to be thankful for.

I wrote down, but didn't send him, a list of favorites (of the moment), so I thought I'd post them here:
  • Movie: "The 400 Blows"

  • Comic movie: "Coneheads"

  • Song: "Try to Remember"

  • Comedy: "You Can't Take It With You"

  • Novel: "All the King's Men"

  • Poet: Kenneth Rexroth

  • Cuisine: Italian

  • President: Calvin Coolidge

  • World leader: Margaret Thatcher

  • Sport: Cycling

  • Spectator sport: Tennis

  • Expostulation: "Sod the Frogs!"

  • Biblical Quotation: "Be ye therefore wise as serpents, but harmless as doves."

  • Secular Quotation: "No one in this world, so far as I know ... has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people."Mencken, Notes on journalism, Chicago Tribune, [19 September 1926]

  • TV Quotation: "“Can’t you be a good Catholic for 15 f***ing minutes?!” (from The Sopranos).

  • Comedy series: Monty Python

  • Graphic artist: R. Crumb

  • Painter: Richard Diebenkorn

  • Sculptor: Barbara Hepworth
I don't know how this gibes with my Blogger profile. Another favorite quotation, from Emerson: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

No links tonight. Google them yourself.

UPDATE: The Andover electronic elves have also published by capsule bio. Assiduous elves, I'd say.

No comments: