May 16, 2005

This Time, the 419 Scam Goes International

Some time ago, I posted this about a version of the Nigerian "419" scam that creatively used Suha Arafat's name. It's the most-linked and most-read post on this blog, ever.

The publicity about the oil-for-food-and-bribes scandal has now inspired a new version of the same old fraud:
From: widowhelp22@netscape.net
Subject: Widowhelp
Date: May 16, 2005 8:40:53 PDT
To: [Me]
Reply-To: widowhelp24@netscape.net

Dear Friend,

I got your email address from the Internet and please do
not feel bad about this message more especially as I am
from Iraq. I am a widow of one of the former senior
managers of the Iraqi State Oil Organisation in charge
of the United Nations Oil-For-Food Programme.

My Husband and three of our four children were killed
in the U.S. led military campaign during this crises
period leaving my little daughter. Before the dead
of my husband, he reveals to me that he deposited a
luggage containing 12 million US dollars as family
valuables with a local security company here in Baghdad.

What I want is that I need you to help me
receive this luggage when it arrive Europe.
The security company has agreed to help transfer
the luggage to Europe and that I need somebody
to receive it for me since I am not free to travel now.
Please note that this doesn't involve any risk.
All I need from you is honesty and a promise
not to betray me after you receive the luggage.
Please note that I have decided to take this risk
because the new Iraq government is investigating
all the managers that work at the oil for food
program and I stand to lose the entire fund if I
don't relocate them.

Note that for security reason, I will not disclose
my identity until you respond to this mail. I look
forward to hear from you soon and I will provide
you with more details.

Thank you.

I get three or four 419 letters a week. Others must have the same experience. One asks, "How can this possibly work?"

But of course, spam is cheap, and finding one modestly well-off patsy would pay off handsomely.

The UN's debasement is common knowledge, now, even among Nigerian con men. Everyone gets it, except Democrat Senators and MSM editorialists.

No comments: