We're half way through this decade, more or less. I got a wild hair and decided to try to list the top stories of our decade. Maybe in 2010 I'll be around to look back and see how I did.
- The 9/11 attack and the war with Islamist terrorism.
- Population decline and Muslim immigration in Europe.
- Epidemics: AIDS and bird flu.
- The rise of the internet and blogosphere and the decline of MSM.
- Depletion of the ocean environment, especially fish stocks.
- Economic dynamism of China and India.
- Rise of the Hispanics in the USA.
- Democratic resurgence in the former Soviet Union (except Russia) and the Middle East.
- Emergence of a Republican majority (even if Hillary manages to win in 2008).
- Shift of the Christian center of gravity to the "Third World."
These aren't in any particular order. They're all important stories. Of course, the really important ones are those we haven't imagined.